Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 26

Sunday Suppers

Got zucchini? We do!  The long green squashies are beginning to take over my kitchen. There's only one choice.  When life hands you zucchini; make bread.  Even better, use Paula Deen's recipe! (She and I WILL cook together someday, she just doesn't know it yet)
Here's what you'll need:
3 1/4 Cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Cups sugar (I warned you it was a Paula recipe)
1 Cup Veg oil
4 eggs beaten
1/3 Cup water
2 Cups of grated zucchini
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl stir together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and sugar.

Whisk your eggs, lemon juice and water together. Add the oil and zucchini and mix it in with the dry ingredients and stir.  At this point MOST people would add the nuts or chocolate chips but I'm not most people.

Pour your batter into 2 oiled loaf pans.

NOW add the chips or nuts and don't stir.  Why now you ask? Because the first time I made this the chips sank to the bottom while the bread baked.  My brilliant idea was to add them last and hope they only sink halfway during baking.
Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Ok so maybe it was not such a brilliant idea.  The chips sank anyway.  So I implore you bakers out there... How do you solve the chip sinking problem?!?  I NEED to know!!!
Let me just tell you, in spite of it being a little bottom heavy this bread is SOOOO good.  You would never know it has zucchini in it.  It's moist and yummy and smells like Christmas while it's baking.

Pastor fuel!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Try lightly coating the chocolate chips with flour before adding them to the batter. This advice doesn't come from personal experience but rather, a vague recollection of having read that somewhere. Do let me know if it works. ;)

ChAmLoTyRy said...

It does work! I've done it and the flour keeps them from sticking to the bottom as well. All you need is about a TBS or less.

Stats