Saturday, July 11, 2009

July 11

Hello all, this is Lee (the husband) in for a "guest blog" appearance.  Well I will share with you what is on my mind today.  As the day began we were all prepared and off to the pool for yet another swim meet, however I must admit that some of my thoughts were about Caitlin's truck that has become dear to her.  Her truck (Roger Dodger as she refers to it) is in the shop for the third time in a month for the same thing.  We have taken it to a trusted mechanic and he has given us very bad news; anytime that head gasket is mentioned I cringe.  

So as we are at the swim meet I get occasional thoughts of how we should handle this issue.  I was counseled by our trusted mechanic to go back and talk with the dealer where we purchased the truck.  I will admit that I have fallen prey to the common stereotype of the "used car salesman."  I thought that certainly they will do all that they can to get out of any responsibility.  I even caught myself telling someone that I wished businesses would be like they were in my dad's generation and before -- you know when a man's word or handshake was his bond, it was binding.  I had little faith that the dealer would have as much enthusiasm about correcting an issue with the vehicle as they were about selling it to me.  (After all the truck is 7 yrs old and over 70K miles)

Well we gathered our paperwork and went to talk with the sales manager.  He remembered us, took a look at the paperwork and immediately said, " we need to get it in here and get it fixed." I am ashamed to say that I was surprised.  Tom from Suttle Motors in Newport News today proved to me to be a man of integrity.  I told him when we bought the vehicle that the experience of the day was pleasant and not like other lots we had visited during the day; I told him today that the Suttle name is still good with me and I can recommend them to others.  He said they would stand behind their product and now I know he meant it.  They will tow the truck in on Monday and begin the process of "making it right."   Rebecca will have to let you know in a week or so if indeed we got what we expected.  For now, I am glad to say that I have encountered a used car shop with a good ethic.  It's good to know that there are men of integrity in a business that has a reputation of being less than "above reproach."

Thanks Rebecca, hope I didn't scare away your readers.

No comments:

Stats