Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Suppers

Today's Sunday Supper recipe I totally snagged from the Pioneer Woman blog.  It looked so delicious and since I'm always on the lookout for a winner, I had to give this one a try.  It also has a surprise ingredient which made it that much more appealing.  I even copied PW's style of taking pictures of some of the steps during the prep.  I do not claim ANY of the talent she has for photography.  Hers always have a Martha Stewart-esque look about them.  Mine? Not so much.   
I made these yummy dumplings this morning before church.  We had a pot-luck lunch after the morning service.  Remember what I told you was the true test of the success of any pot-luck dish?  Check out the last picture.

I Dew Love Apple Dumplings
2-3 Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and sliced into eighths.
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
2 sticks of butter ( I never promised it was good for you)
1 1/2 C Sugar
12 ozs Mountain Dew (yes the soda)
1 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon
 *** Open your crescent rolls and separate the triangles.  Roll two slices of apple up into each triangle making a little bundle.  Lay them into a 9x13 casserole pan like shown below.  I fit about 15 bundles into my pan but I had to get a little creative. 

Next you will need to melt your 2 sticks of butter and stir your vanilla and sugar into it.  The trick is to not stir too much.  Pour the sugar/butter mixture over the top of your bundles.  Then pour your 12 ozs of Mountain Dew down the middle and around the edges.  I had a 20 oz bottle so the girls had fun finishing it off for me.  I hope they'll sit still in church!
Next you sprinkle the whole top with cinnamon and pop it in the  350 degree oven for 30 minutes (or so).  When I got mine out there was alot of juice floating around the bottom so I ladled some of it out into a bowl.  After it cooled a bit I could not help taking a little taste of the juice and oh my stars was it ever good!  If I'd a had a straw...  My little bowl of juice is in the fridge awaiting a nice bowl of vanilla ice cream to accompany it later this evening for a snack.  YUM-OHere it is bubbling away in the hot oven.  The one on the left is the cheesy chicken casserole I was obliged to make since man cannot live on apple dumplings alone.  The recipe for it will be in another Sunday Suppers edition.
Here we are, all ready to go to church.  Remarkably we will be on time today if something unexpected does not happen on the way.  
No Leftovers 

No comments:

Stats