Saturday, April 26, 2008

Extreme 8 Seconds

There has been a little discussion here (and in my email box) about one of the items on my 100 Things About Me list.  Yes, I admit it openly that I am a PBR fan.  PBR= Professional Bull Riding for those of you who do not know.   I cannot exactly pinpoint why I like it so much.  I just do, so that's enough explanation for now.  I think I got hooked in the early 90's after watching the movie Eight Seconds which is the true life story of Lane Frost.  He was a bull rider who was fatally wounded by a bull during a competition in Wyoming.  Secretly, after seeing the movie I wanted to name a son Lane.  Of course you all know that didn't happen.  
My favorite cowboys are Adriano Moraes (3 PBR World Championships) and Chris Shivers(2 PBR World Championships).  Adriano is getting a little old for this sport but boy I tell you, in his heyday he sure could ride.  I've been known to hop around the living room hollering "hang on Adriano!!!" while watching him ride his way to a world championship.  Exhilarating! 
One of my life goals is to someday go to the World Championship Rodeo which is held every October in Las Vegas.  What a coincidence, my birthday happens to fall sometime near then. That would be a nice birthday gift!  I'd settle for going to the Git-R-Done Invitational in Orlando in June.  Hint, Hint!
Anyway, who couldn't love a sport where some of the players are named things like Bodacious, Soulja Boy and Tighty Whitey?  I'm referring to the bulls of course.  
Below is a clip from a ride by Zach Brown.  There was a bit of controversy as to whether he actually covered the full 8 seconds.  My favorite announcer, Don Gay would say "that bull wrecked 'em up and flung 'em like a yard dart. " 

No comments:

Stats