Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday Suppers

Today's Sunday Supper recipe came from my granny.  She hand wrote this recipe card before Lee and I got married 18ish years ago.  As a kid I was no big fan of the sweet potato but was talked into trying this delicious concoction by my dad.  I figured that anything covered in marshmallows couldn't be all bad.  Of course I discovered that I loved it and from that point forward have never found another recipe to be its equal.  If I'm eatin sweet taters, I'm eatin em like this!  My granny is gone now and I miss her very much.  My memories of her do not really revolve around food and the kitchen.  She wasn't that kind of granny.  Turns out this little gem that she was known for bringing to every Thanksgiving feast was clipped out of the newspaper in the 1950s.  Way to stay up on the news granny!



Sweet Granny Sweet Taters
(Goes perfectly with Ham)
4 med sweet potatoes baked and mashed
4 eggs well beaten
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/3 C milk
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 stick of butter softened (6 Tbsp)
1 C pecans chopped very fine
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
Bag of marshmallows for topping

*** Combine all the ingredients until well blended.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.  Take out and cover the top with marshmallows and put it back into hot oven long enough for them to get puffy all over.  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Stats