Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Suppers

My new weekly blog post: a fabulous recipe from my files, worthy of any Sunday supper. You don't have to keep these just for Sunday, they will be scrumptious any day of the week.  

This weeks recipe originates from Lee's grandma, passed on to Lee's mom and then thankfully passed on to me.  It is not necessarily a favorite at my house, only two of us enjoy eating it. Can you guess which two?  But every time I take it to a pot-luck I get tons of compliments and requests for the recipe.  I also rarely bring any leftovers home which as far as I'm concerned is a true test of a pot-luck dish's success. SO without further ado, I give you:

Give Peas A Chance Salad

1 can tiny english peas (drained)
1 can french style green beans (drained)
2 stalks celery (chopped fine)
1 small jar chopped pimentos
1 small onion-I use a red one for color (chopped fine)

*** Put all of these ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.

Dressing
1/4 C vinegar
1/4 C Oil
1/2 C sugar

*** Mix these ingredients together and pour over bean/pea mixture and stir.  It's best to let this sit in the fridge overnight.  Transfer to a pretty bowl and serve.  

That's all there is to it.  I usually double the recipe for a church supper.  Lee's sweet grandma had a special crystal bowl that she always served this salad in.  To this day, Thanksgiving and Easter meals include Lurlene's salad in the special bowl.  Funny how traditions get started and end up being such a comfort to those left behind.  


No comments:

Stats