Monday, May 26, 2008

Sunday Suppers

It's Saucy Sunday here at Lovin' Life At Home.  Yep, you guessed it, todays recipes are all about the sauce.  I would be remiss if I did not give props to my lovely assistant Abbie who took every photo for todays recipes.  I never realized how difficult it would be to cook while trying to document EVERY step along the way.  Luckily for me I was able to call in the reinforcements.  Way to go Abs!  Back to the sauce... these are two of our family favorites.  The first one is Ginger Sauce which, according to my people, is a requirement for eating homemade egg rolls (I'll post those later).  I tend to agree. It's also yummy on sticky rice.  BTW don't just throw these sauces on any ol rice, they belong on a good Jasmine/short grained rice.  
The second recipe is for Finadenne  (fin-ah-denny).  We learned to love this one while living on Guam.  They use it like we would use ketchup, on everything.  It's awesome on rice and almost any meat.  I told my family when we left Guam that our fridge would never be without finadenne from now on.  Traditionally this sauce is supposed to be spicy and is made with little birds eye peppers that grow on Guam.  They call them boonie peppers and they pack a huge punch.  Here we have to settle for what we can find at the local produce stand.  One more thing, just in case anyone from Guam reads this.  As with any native ethnic recipe I am probably not doing it the way it supposed to be done, so don't send too many flaming arrows my way if I goof it up.  

Ok here we go...
Ginger Sauce
1/2 C soy sauce
1/2 chopped onion
4 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 cloves of garlic (I like more)
fresh ginger  2 slices  about the size of nickels



Our cast of characters today

Soy Sauce

Vinegar

Combine all of the liquids in a mixing bowl

Add in your sugar and stir

No comments:

Stats