Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday Suppers

Today I bring you a recipe I've been using since just after Lee and I got married. I've made it so many times, I think I could do it in my sleep. Funny thing is, my family still gets excited when there are a couple of old bananas in the fruit bowl. They know that means Banana Bread will shortly be in their tummies.  In today's version I added some chocolate chips.  Mostly because I love chocolate.  What other reason do I need?  I suppose if you like nuts you could add pecans or walnuts but we are not a nutty family ( no laughing please). It's just as good plain too. So without further ado I give you:

Becky's Banana Bread
1/2 C Crisco
1 C sugar
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2 or 3 ripe bananas
1/3 C buttermilk
1/2 C nuts or chocolate chips (optional)



Notice in the above picture that I use powdered buttermilk.  The only reason I ever need buttermilk around here is for a recipe. I mean YUCK! Who drinks that stuff?!! This powdered stuff comes in very handy.  I keep the little canister in my fridge and anytime a recipe calls for buttermilk I just whisk up how much I need. Simple, simple.  

OK on with the show.... You are going to cream together your sugar and crisco.  After that while you mixer is running on low add in the eggs, bananas and buttermilk. While this mixes put your dry ingredients together (except chips or nuts) then add it slowly to your banana mixture.   Keep mixing until everything is well blended.  At this point I had to go rescue my favorite pair of church shoes from the puppy jaws of death. You might be able to skip that step though.

By hand, fold in your chocolate chips or nuts but only if you want to.

Pour the mixture into a nicely greased loaf pan.  This recipe makes excellent muffins too.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
I serve mine warm with a little butter.  Yum-O

No comments:

Stats