Thursday, September 25, 2008

Will Work For Pizza

It was really hard to get the sisters to hold still long enough to get a photo. This was the best I could do.

Many people are unaware that when a US Navy ship pulls into a port that they will do at least one community outreach project during their stay. In most cases it is the chaplain who organizes these projects. So upon my arrival I was informed that I would spend one of my Italian vacation days helping with a homeless mission in the city of Naples. I thought "How hard can it be? I've worked in soup kitchens before, piece of cake right?" HUH!!! I've Never worked for the nuns before and boy was I in for a surprise! The sisters worked us like Clydesdales!

We took about 20 sailors from the San Antonio over to a Cathedral pictured above in downtown Naples. The sisters who we worked for are of the same order of Mother Theresa Missionaries of Charity. They quickly put us to work. We scrubbed 5 flights of staircase, we scrubbed floors, cleaned kitchens and bathroom showers that doubled as toilets (UH!!) , we organized storage closets, we cooked and we served a hot meal to over 200 homeless folks at the end of the day.

Sailors doing what sailors do: swabbing the deck.

The Sister in charge of the Mission was thanking Lee and the rest of us for all of our hard work. We then walked up the street a bit to a place called Sarbillos which touts being the birthplace of pizza. It was SOOOOO good!!! We each ordered our own well earned pizza and devoured every delicious little bite!

No comments:

Stats