Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cell Phone Mania

Take a little trip back in time with me.  We won't be gone for too long I promise.  You may not be able to go on this trip with us if you do not have conscious memories that date back before about 1990 or so.  If you do have a few thoughts that go back that far then buckle up and hang on cuz here we go.  
Everyone in this picture is between the ages of 5-16
Remember when a phone was that thing that hung on the wall in the kitchen?  It was probably the only one in the house and it had a very, very long cord on it that would stretch around the corner and into another room.  This cord was spiral shaped and was always tangled around itself in spite of your father untangling it daily.   The length of said cord provided much needed privacy when some boy called and you did not want to be mercilessly teased by siblings or hounded with 20 questions by the cord untangler.  

Remember when you would leave home and worry that you would miss someone's call?  Later you would hear from said caller that they'd been calling and calling and no one answered and they would then ask you where in the world you had been.  By then they had probably forgotten why they had called in the first place. Later as times progressed you could rely on your new fangled answering machine to answer while you were not at home.  Inevitably though you would have someone like my grandmother informing you that they hated talking to "that machine".  And boy didn't we think we were something when the cordless phone became all the rage?  It weighed several pounds but no matter, you could walk and talk at the same time!!

Then came the first generation of cellular phones.  My pawpaw had one.  You had to carry it around in a duffle bag sort of like a mini suitcase and just as heavy.  It cost a fortune and heaven forbid you leave your calling area of about a 10 mile radius, just think of the roaming fees! 
 If you can remember those days, I'm here to inform you: 
IT AIN'T LIKE THAT ANYMORE!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I so remember those days!

Stephanie said...

This is great!
I don't even think of those days anymore I love my phone and I am lost if I don't have it with me.

Stats