Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More Of Rome

Our day in Rome began with trying to find our way through this enormous train station. Of course, as in any big city, people with that wild, terrified look in their eyes (like us) are preyed upon. We might as well have worn signs that read "Lost tourist who does not speak Italian, please help me and then expect to be paid many Euro for your meager assistance!" We did eventually find our way and we learned an all important lesson to be used in future out of country excursions: No matter how hopelessly lost we are, NEVER let it show!
This station was HUGE and very little English was being spoken or displayed. I did spot the IKEA sign there at the entrance though.

Originally we thought this absolutely beautiful building was the Pantheon. Turns out it isn't. Still it was one of the sights that took our breath away.


Here we are in St. Peters Square where the Pope conducts mass everyday. We got there late in the day so the Pope was probably napping (which is the Italian custom between 1 and 3). Seeing St Peters Basilica was the highlight of our day in Rome. It was completely unbelievable. The late hour prevented us from getting to see the Sistine Chapel but now we have something to look forward to next time.

Ok, I am going to make a confession here. I snapped this picture inside St Peters and stood to look at the beautiful sculpture for about 15 seconds then walked away to take in other marvelous sights. I had NO IDEA what a momentous, once in a lifetime opportunity I had just missed. Later that day I found out that this sculpture is The Pieta by Michelangelo (1499) !!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? I was almost sick to my stomach when I realized what I walked away from without much attention. UGH!!!


This sculpture was also in the Basilica. I thought it was so captivating that I had to have a picture.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

All of the pictures are awesome! Thank you!
The only place I really want to travel outside of the USA is Italy, specifically Tuscany, maybe someday :)

Glad you had such an awesome opportunity .

Deanna said...

I loved the humanities courses I took in college but now I see the true value of all that time spent looking at and identifying slides of famous architecture and pieces of art. Now if I ever get to Italy I'll recognize the Pantheon and The Pieta. And people say liberal arts are a waste of time. (grin)

I'm so enjoying your pictures and would love to go to Italy someday.

Carolina Girl said...

Wow Becky, I'm loving the pictures....keep them coming!

Stats