Monday, March 9, 2009

Military Monday

The girls and I arrived home on Friday evening.  We've spent the last 2 days trying to recover from our travels.  Everyone has joked with us about how they "feel sorry" for our poor little souls lounging around in the Med.  I guess a bad case of Jet Lag is a small price to pay for the incredible experiences we've had over the past 2 weeks.
Before the San Antonio liberty ported in Greece they made a stop in Alexandria, Egypt.  Lee was able to see the great pyramids and he said it was amazing.  He said it gave him shivers to be standing where the ancient children of Israel stood in the land of the Pharaohs.

This is about as close as they were able to get to the Sphinx.   It is very protected in order to keep it from eroding even more.

Some of the sailors trying to fit in with the locals.  Ha!

This is Dave, Lee's liberty buddy and friend.  He is the dentist aboard the ship.  The sailors are not allowed to get off the ship without their liberty buddy.  They also have to stick together the entire time they are on land.  While we were in Greece, I got to be Lee's official liberty buddy.

I thought this was a cool picture with all of that amazing history in the background.  Although I laughed when I saw it.  To me it almost looks like Lee is photo-shopped into the picture. They were able to walk right up to the pyramids and even had the chance to go into one for more money.  Most of them chose to stay outside.  Lee said that Egypt was a money pit.  They were charged a bundle for every little thing and the children practically climbed them as they walked trying to sell their trinkets.

Amazing!
Don't forget to take a look at our Picasa Web Albums.  I am currently uploading the rest of our Greece photos as well as Lee's photos from various liberty ports.

1 comment:

jaci said...

I just showed these to my husband. He was SO impressed!

Stats