Friday, March 23, 2007

Our Fun Adventure


The girls swim coach invited us and several other families to go along on a little adventure that turned out to be great fun. We left the beach swimming (I kayaked) out about 1/2 mile around the cliff line to an enormous cave right on the ocean. The cave has a rope swing hanging just inside it. Everyone was able to climb up the rocks and then swing out into the ocean for a big drop! It was a neat experience. I was the conservative one staying on board what I officially named "the safety kayak" to take pictures and keep an overall eye on the proceedings. Of course if anything had gone wrong I would have been the last one they turned to. Along with us was a Navy Seal, a Navy Rescue Swimmer and a Nurse. I think I was really there to carry the gear, keep important items like car keys dry and of course take pictures. You can see the pics of the whole trip with captions on our Picasa Web album linked on the right. For some reason the pictures uploaded to Picasa in backwards order, so start at the end. Oh and I took the pictures with a generic brand cheap disposable camera, so quality is not that great.
The girls reported seeing some very large fish, many anemones and quite a bit of wreckage including a huge old anchor chain from a ship. Rich, the Navy Seal with us would free dive down and bring bits and pieces back up for the kiddos to examine. They would then have big fun watching it fall back down to the ocean floor. From where we were at the mouth of the cave we averaged the depth to be about 20 to 30 feet. Doing stuff like this makes being on Guam such an adventure! Enjoy the pictures

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun day. The picture is beautiful. Miss y'all much. Love ya :)

Colleen Smith said...

Is this on the west or east side of Guam? I wish my knees weren't so bad. I could never sit/get into a kayak or canoe so adventures like this are completely out of my league....sigh...

Stats