Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snickerdoodledog

It just so happened that Snickers came into our lives about 10 years ago. That's just about the time that the internet was really beginning to change the way people operated every day. It only made sense to me to call myself by my dog's name in cyberspace. I can't imagine being known on the web by anything other than snickerdoodledog.
Unfortunately 1o years is a long time for a dog. We think she was about 2 when she came to us so that would make her about 12 years old. That's 84 in doggie years.
Her age is showing lately. She's slowed down, sleeps alot, has cloudy eyes and she can't hear. Lee says she has selective hearing. I say she's stone deaf. Worst of all she has cancer.


For a while there I could barely budge her long little behind off the couch. I also could not get her to eat. My guess was that the end was near for my sweet Snicky. I took her to the vet who confirmed that she had cancer and also told me her teeth were bad. Because of her age she could not withstand the anesthesia to fix these things. "Let her live her last days happy, feed her some wet food." said the vet.
So off we went to Pet Smart to pick up a box full of Little Champions and Little Csars beef and chicken dinners in gravy. Yum.

Let me just tell you that the day Snickers got her first Little C dinner was the day she decided she had a reason to live again. In the mornings she wakes us up before dawn sometimes bouncing around our feet like a puppy, running to her food bowl and back. My mom and dad recently dog sat for us and she snookered them into as many Little C dinners as she possibly could. They are kind of pushovers for the granddog though.
That vet visit was over a year ago and Snickers seems as happy now as ever. She still sleeps a lot and she would not hear a bomb if it went off in the garage but I guess age has it's entitlements.
For Snickers, food is good enough reason to live.

1 comment:

jaci said...

Oh, Rebecca! It is hard to believe Snickers is 10 already. That is old for a Doxie. {{{HUGS}}} as you go through this time with her.

Stats