Thursday, January 7, 2010

Paula In My Crockpot

Well I did it. I cooked up an original Paula Deen recipe right straight from her cookbook. I usually tweek recipes just a little to suit us better but this time there was NO tweeking. Lee and the girls liked it in spite of the onions and bell peppers. I did make sure to cut the offenders large enough to be picked out by the picky eaters among us. The dish was called Swiss Steak and I'm still wondering why it's called that and what Paula is doing with a Swiss recipe in Savannah, Georgia. Anyway, I don't think I can share the exact recipe here, I'm thinking there may be rules against such things. The last thing I need is a night in jail and I would not even know how to word an apology letter to Paula. SO generally speaking I'll just say that I took some cubed steak and dusted it in flour and other seasonings like salt and pepper. I browned it in pan of hot oil then put the pieces into my faithful crockpot. I dumped in a can of diced tomatoes, some chopped onion and bell pepper, a little water and a couple cloves of minced garlic. I used the can of tomatoes that was labeled "Marinated in garlic and olive oil". There isn't much that I would not eat that has been marinated in garlic and olive oil! YUM! I turned the crockpot up on high and let it go for about 6 hours. The result was a tender, delicious, aromatic delight served over white rice with crusty french bread. You gotta give it a try.
At our house we have a rating system for new recipes. I take a poll. Would you be willing to eat this weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, yearly or never again? Paula's Swiss Steak got a solid monthly rating with a wavering bi-monthly from at least two family members. Don't let that fool you though, you have to remember the picky no onion and pepper eaters among us.
BTW, I consider a yearly rating to really be a never again rating. A yearly rating in translation means "Mom we don't want to hurt your feelings and we know you went to a lot of effort here but please never make us eat this again".

No comments:

Stats