Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Out Burnin'

Several years ago Lee and I heard an older fella begin telling a story with the words "While I was out burnin...".  From that point on I have always thought that was a cool thing to say.  I mean when someone asks you what you did today, wouldn't it be fun to say " Oh I was just out burnin'"?  Well now I can say it.  Yesterday I was out burnin'.  You can do that in the country ya know.  No one even blinks an eye when you set stuff on fire in your backyard.  We raked leaves and cleaned out all of the flower beds.  I got all of it piled up and then got the bright idea to do what I have always wanted to do.

Holly did the honors of lighting the first pile on fire.

I stood by faithfully with the water hose.

Wrigley was the only voice of reason. Too bad we trapped him on the porch.

Look at the big dummy back there with no shoes on! Big dummy learned her lesson well and is now nursing a pretty little blister on the bottom of her left foot.

Note to self: Wear shoes when  you go out burnin'

2 comments:

Deanna said...

As the wife of a volunteer firefighter who frequently gets called out on a fire only discover someone was just "out burnin'", may I suggest that you call your local dispatch first and just tell them you'll be doing a controlled burn. That way, when someone sees the smoke and calls it in, they'll know that they don't have to respond to it. And make sure your area isn't under a burn ban when you're "out burnin'" or might end up with a fine.

Otherwise, enjoy your fire. :)

Southern Comfort said...

My favorite outdoor activity is burning...brush, leaves etc. I grew up doing this and it usually ended up with coffee and a family weiner roast.We never called the local dispatch but now I realize that it is the right thing to do. When I see smoke in the distance now, I always wonder if it is an intentional fire or is a grass fire coming my way. Our area has been under a burn ban and everyone has been on the look out for fires. Living in the country and being able to sit around a fire on your own property is awesome. I'm looking forward to some rain so I can do it again.

Stats