Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ah Mom, Pizza Again?

We are finally here in Santorini.  It is a smallish island above Crete with an active volcano. Don't worry our driver says it only blows every 2000 years and this is not that year.   On a map this island does not look that far away but when you have to go through what we just went through to get here, it might as well have been in Timbuktoo.  When we arrived at the port, our Villa sent a driver for us. We settled in with 2 priorities in mind, #1 EAT, #2 SLEEP! 
I'll tell you later about our ferry trip when I get the photos downloaded.

We wandered around the village for about an hour before stumbling onto this cute little restaurant.  In this culture, people don't really even think about supper till about 7 PM or so.  Here we were wandering around in search of a meal at 4:30 PM.  Let me tell you, we were hard pressed to find anything open.  Glory!!! What we did find was SOOOO good!

This little place had an upstairs garden room with tables.  We wandered in thinking that we would just grab a pizza and carry it back to the room, but we were sent upstairs.  Tony was our waiter who quickly befriended Gracie.  I think her blond hair won him over.  Since we were his only customers AND because of Gracie's winning ways, we got the royal treatment, which happened to come with a loaf of steaming hot crusty bread and fresh butter.  I LIKE the royal treatment.

We finished up and I paid the bill while Tony and Gracie had a conversation which sounded like this:
Tony: Gracie!!!! Finish with your pizza? How did you lika da pizza I make jus for you?
Gracie: Grinning with thumbs in the air, "It was very yummy!" I loved it. 
Tony: How longa you stay in Santrini Gracie?
Gracie:
3 or 4 days I think
Tony: Ok Gracie you coma back evry day and I cookah sometin especial jus for you k?
Gracie: Looking at me hopefully, "I think we can do that"

Priority #1 satisfactorily fulfilled and now it's time for Priority # 2.
Nighty Night!




No comments:

Stats