Tuesday, April 3, 2007

QIL= quotes I like

My smart girls-->>

I found this printed and stuck to the bathroom wall in our library on the Andersen Air Force base.

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school but that was not enough. My education, the superstructure, the details, the true architecture I got out of the public library. For an impoverished child who's family could not afford to buy books, the library was an open door to wonder and achievement. I can never be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that door and make the most of it." ~ Isaac Asimov
The girls and I spend a lot of time up at the library on the air force base. It's really the only library worth spending any time in on Guam. We take a trip there about every other week and make a day of it. It is a whole 45 minute drive, which is the Guam equivalent to a road trip. We usually go on a Tuesday when the Andersen Wives Gift Shop is open so we can do a little shopping too. These wives take turns traveling all over this side of the world- Korea, Thailand, Bali, Japan etc... finding great handmade stuff, buy it in bulk and bring it back to sell at the gift shop. Proceeds go to charities on Guam. Some of you have been privy to small gifts bought at this very shop. Psstt... I have more that I am bringing home too. After shopping and library time we usually go eat lunch at the food court where Holly and Abbie get sandwiches from Robin Hood, Gracie and Caitlin get pizza from Anthonys or chicken from Burger King and they each have fun mixing their coke flavors at the drink machines. This happens to be one of the ONLY spots on Guam that sells real Coke and not Pepsi so that is a treat. We are really looking forward to getting back to the States and having several great libraries to choose from. Since being here all four of the girls have turned into avid readers so as you can imagine, the library is a pretty important spot for us. If you have not read a book in a while, give it a whirl! Its great. Not sure where to begin- try The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, good for any age and good for the soul.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading must be family affair, Mom and I both love to read! I have always believed that reading is a portal to learning and imagination. I'm glad you all like it there on Guam and I hope you have a safe trip home. Love to all!!!

Anonymous said...

We love our books, don't we girl?

Anonymous said...

It does run in the family, Remember Mom also loved to read. So do I, when I get the chance.
Believe it or not so does Tony. He finished all the Left behind series and he is reading about 4 different books now. One that Beck gave him about Heaven, he loves that one. We both love the Narina series.
mom and mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi girls,
Papa printed this picture for me. I have it up at my work station.

Love mimi

Stats