Monday, May 21, 2012

Freak Glasses

We have a saying among us now when we go into the city of New Orleans. "Put your freak shades on! You're about to see something crazy!". I knew we would see some crazies in this colorful city but I was unprepared for what now just seems normal. Every time we wander into town we see something or someone odd and unusual that stops us in our tracks. I'm talking about grown adults dressed up like pink bunny rabbits or rose bushes. People carrying around large reptiles or a guy on a bike that looks like a carousel horse while dressed as superman with undies on where undies weren't meant to be worn. So I've decided to start blogging some of these sights. The first installment here is this ferry riding band of toga wearing girls. They happily let me, a stranger take their picture! I'm sure their mothers probably warned them against such things at one point in their lives.
Hey little Brownies, I don't ever want to hear a story about you wearing your bed sheets to town and letting strangers take your picture. Got it?
On the other hand,
Posing with an odd guy dressed as Mr Potato Head is perfectly acceptable.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

That is one of the reasons we love NOLA so much. We were a little taken aback by how little of this we saw shortly after the storm but it didn't take long for things to get back to *normal*. I blogged about it back in 2006. Keep your eyes open and you just might see one of these folks:

http://teawithdee.blogspot.com/2006/06/confederacy-of-lunatics-new-orleans_26.html

Stats