Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Great Mouse War of 2009

Remember back when the days were long and the sand in the peanut field was warm on your feet?  The peanut plants were growing tall in the summer sun giving the mice a nice cozy place to live.  
Fast forward 5 months....the peanuts are harvested and the fields are plowed.  The days are short and you can see your breath in the air.  The mice are looking for a new cozy home.  Guess which one they chose?
Mine!

So in we walked into our freezing cold house at 4 in the morning after about 20 hours of traveling.  Through my blurry eyes I see traces of flour on the kitchen floor.  I was too tired to investigate and my primary concern was getting the house warm enough to sleep in.  

Fast forward to the next day.... I stumbled into kitchen with one thought on my mind.  I'm starving... must find food!  So I open the pantry door.  The brand new bag of flour that I left in there a month earlier looked like it had exploded.  There was flour EVERYWHERE!
I knew immediately what had happened because the little creatures had left their tell tale droppings all over the place. UGH!

I started exploring the kitchen and to my disgust I realized that there was not too many places they had not been.   The last straw was the silverware drawer.  I nearly lost it when I saw a little mouse poo on my spoons.  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok you little mousies....It's on!

I went straight out and bought as many weapons of warfare that Wal Mart would legally sell to one angry housewife.  Becky (my friend) and I washed the entire kitchen and bleached the cabinets and drawers.  We cleaned out the pantry throwing more than half of its contents away. The rest we put in Rubbermaid containers. We set the traps and laid the poison.
In spite of all of our good efforts we had no luck at killing any mice.
I never thought about the one weapon that I had already paid for... Fraidycat.
So far my WONDERFUL kitty has caught and killed at least 3 mice. 
Good Boy!
The mouse war continues but the human/cat team is pulling out ahead.

 
The mighty mouse warrior at his post.

1 comment:

Southern Comfort said...

I had to do the same thing about a month ago. I put every single thing into plastic containers-even my silverware. We not only had mice,but huge rats as well. They chewed a big hole in the hard plastic storage bin that had dog food stored in it. For the first time in about 2 months, I haven't seen a sign of a mouse. There is nothing in my kitchen for them to eat anymore. I moved a lot of my stuff into metal containers can you believe it! I don't use poison because I'm afraid my little dog might find some, so I use glue traps. I've heard from a lot of people that have this problem this year. Our Walmart was even sold out of all their traps the last time I looked. Good luck to you-and your cat!

Stats