Saturday, May 12, 2007

Bali Days 6-7


My last Bali post!! I am combining days 6 and 7 because there was not a lot of activity on those two days and it can all be covered in one post. Frankly, I am ready to move on to writing about other things. Day 6 was a simple day. We loved the spa so much and it was so affordable that we spent another morning there. Then we spent the afternoon at the hotel pool relaxing. Keep in mind that I was getting over my tummy troubles, so an easygoing day was in order. Later we walked to the monkey forest again for one last visit before we left Bali. Holly learned a very valuable lesson during this visit. She wore her overalls because the monkeys seemed to like them so much the day before. She would hide fruit in the pockets on her side and the monkeys would dig it out. It was fun until the fruit ran out and then one of them got angry. He climbed up her and reached in only to find a spent peel and then proceeded to bite her on the pocket. Luckily there was a lady nearby with a stick and she kept the monkey from inflicting any more trauma. I was thankful that he bit into two layers of denim fabric which kept her skin intact. She was just bruised in that spot and a bit shook up. Needless to say, she left with a bad opinion of the monkeys. That night we were so tired of Indonesian food that I got a ride in to a grocery store and bought whatever I could find that looked American. I brought it back and we had a junk food supper. Sometimes you just need an Oreo ya know? We spent most of our last morning there in Bali packing up our suitcases with all of our goodies from shopping. We traveled there with 2 suitcases full and two empty. We left with all 4 crammed to the limit. Nyoman our driver came to pick us up just after lunch so that we could make the long journey back to Denpasar where the airport is located. Along the way we stopped at the Harley Davidson store and got our favorite guys a Harley t-shirt that say Bali, Indonesia on the back. We also got out and put out feet in the Indian Ocean, and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe for supper. We also stopped in at a batik place where we watched ladies painting silk with special hot wax/paint. They offered to paint on the girls shirts or shorts. Each of us got a beautiful batik painted flower design painted, a very neat souvenir to fly home with. Around this time we were finally making our way toward the airport for our 10pm flight and I began to feel a bit worse for wear. By the time we unloaded luggage and were saying goodbye to Nyoman I was feeling very ill. I managed to get inside and check in but had to quickly locate the bathroom. What a nightmare! It's horrible to be sick even in the comfort of your own home but imagine in an international airport in Indonesia where standards are a bit less than good. I managed to go through the security checkpoints about 8 times because of all my running back and forth to the bathroom. At least they were CERTAIN that I was not a threat. In the midst of all of that we were told that we had overstayed our Visa by 2 hours and in order to leave the country we would have to cough up another 100 US dollars! So once again I had to go back through security, go outside, find an ATM and then try to find the cheapest way to change the Rupiah it gave me into American money. Aiyiyi!! International travel is fun but not without its headaches to be sure. Let me also just say that I thank my Lord that I am an American! All in all we had an experience of a lifetime and even with all the headaches I would jump at the chance to go again. I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings about our little trip, now we can get back to the everyday stuff that life is made of. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bec
Thanks for all the ramblings, it was reat. With what you describe we got to go with you. I'm glad you and girls got to go to Bali.
It is an experience of a life time,
one you and girls will never forget.
Love M&M

Anonymous said...

that is why I hate monkeys. I'm sorry Holly had to experience that. They are really truly mean creatures - and their bites can be vicious. There was a lady who lived across the street from me when I was a little girl - she had a pet monkey and it bit children.

But I didn't pop in for that reason, I came to say "Happy Mom's Day!"

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all in all it was a great experience. Happy Moms Day Becky:)
Lisa

Stats