Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bali Day 3


Day 3 in Bali was a Sunday. It was very odd for us to not be attending church. I discreetly inquired about where we may find a Christian church on the island but no one seemed to know if one even existed. Instead we had our own mini church service that morning and then proceeded to have a very full day. Day 3 was all about the animals. Our driver took us first to a play/dance called Barong and Kris at a temple nearby. The play was centered around a tiger who represented good and a monkey who represented evil. It was very colorful and interesting but the who point of the story was lost on us in translation. Our next stop was the Bali Zoo and then on to the Bali Bird Park. While having lunch at the bird park a couple of friendly peacocks wandered up beside us and ate whatever hit the ground. Kinda like what Snickers does at home. I kept trying to get the girls to get closer to them in order to get a good picture or two. Later when the birds got a little too close to me the girls teased me saying "mommy get a little closer so we can take your picture". I didn't think it was funny. After lunching with the birds we headed over to the elephant park. There we completely enjoyed a 40 minute ride on the elephants. When the ride was over the elephant handlers did not have any more customers so they let each of us ride on the front of the elephant and had them do lots of fun tricks for us. It was really something and turned out to be a lot more fun than any of us had anticipated. To continue our animal themed day we ate supper at a popular restaurant called The Dirty Duck. The restaurant got its name from the muddy ducks that would wander in from the rice paddys nearby while the building was under construction. Once again our supper was great, another really neat dining experience. The question of the day for the girls was "what one thing do you miss the most from home?" The very quick and unanimous answer was... Air Conditioning!!!
Keep in mind we were not only without AC but also without TV and internet. Our hair dryers and curling irons did not work either because the plugs there are different. I can hear many of you gasping now wondering how we survived. We took a lot of showers in our outdoor bathroom (see pictures from Day 3) went through alot of deodorant and insect repellent, let our hair air dry and played cards on our front porch every night and loved every minute of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
Did you really post this at 4:55 in the morning. I'm loving every minute of this. Keep it coming.
Love you
M&M

Anonymous said...

That's it I'm moving to Bali...LOL...I've been waiting to hear all about this trip....I love it!!!

Ambre :):):)

Anonymous said...

ok, I loved the elephants..I can see how much fun you had...and I loved all the other animals...but seriously, I almost fell out of my computer chair when that spider popped up there....I'm such a girl...LOL!!! Love you guys!!!

Ambre

Stats