Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Bali Day 4


Our fourth day in Bali was not packed full of activity but I will have to say it was my favorite day. I enjoyed it because we took a cooking class that morning. Cafe Wayan is a popular restaurant there in Ubud. They began offering cooking lessons to tourists several years ago because so many were asking about how to prepare the delicious food the restaurant serves. When Caitlin, Holly and I arrived for class that morning we found that we were their only students for the day, so we got a lot of personalized attention. Abbie and Gracie tagged along and watched. Later they enjoyed their roles as official taste testers. Our teachers were two master chefs and boy, they really knew their stuff. They were very patient with the girls, taught them many new skills, and encouraged them to try many new tastes. We learned all about spices and herbs and several unique Balinese ingredients. We prepared about 6 different Indonesian dishes, some of them were; grilled tuna salad, chicken satay with peanut sauce, chicken curry, and a dessert made with sweet potatoes called Casava Caramel and of course rice. After cooking we all sat down to a feast. It was so yummy. For the rest of the day we relaxed at the pool and enjoyed the Bali sun. That night we ate supper at Cafe Wayan where Gracie completely enjoyed a large slice of "Death By Chocolate" cake all to herself.

I asked the girls that night what they enjoyed most about the day. Caitlin enjoyed learning how to flip sliced eggplant in a hot frying pan; Holly loved slicing, dicing, and chopping all the ingredients in the recipes; Abbie and Gracie both loved tasting everything as it was being prepared; and I loved learning to cook new recipes. I plan to put my new skills to good use in my own kitchen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beck,
Can't wait for you to try some of those receipes on us. I promise I will try what you and the girls prepare. Please no raw onions or celery. Thanks Love ya
M&M

Anonymous said...

Oh...it all sounds wonderful.... especially the "Death By Chocolate"...but maybe that's just b/c I'm on a diet...LOL...ok, need more!!!!
Ambre :):):)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nana would have loved being with you girls on this day. Even though she has prepareed some Indonesian dish, I am quite sure just being there in the present of this chef would have been the bomb. Enjoyed reading about your trip to Bali. Looking forward in seeing all of you. with all our love betty stanly and (now LB)

Stats