Thursday, September 30, 2010

Where's Wally?


Has anyone noticed that it has been 284 days since we've spent money at Wally World?  My family has pretty much stopped asking me why we aren't shopping there anymore.  I guess that might be because I shrug and say "because".  We don't really have a great reason and we don't hate Wal*Mart.  Last year it was not uncommon for us to go there two or more times a week. We've even had more date nights than I care to admit end with a stroll around Wal*Mart.  
It all started last Christmas when the girls received gifts that needed to be exchanged.  All 4 gifts had come from Wal*Mart but we had no receipts.  Two of the gifts had come from a Wal*Mart in another state.  Long story short, the manager accused us of trying to cheat them and refused to exchange the two from the other state.  THAT did not set well with my dearly beloved.  He suggested that we try to live without them for a year. At first I was worried.  No Wally World?  Where in the world will I waste my hours and money from now on? Then I realized that I lived quite fine without it for 3 years on Guam.  
Within a month my truck (Jet Puff) stopped pulling to the left when I'd ride south on Blanding Blvd.  Now, 9 months later I don't even miss it. 
Since I started couponing in earnest I have learned that Wal*Mart is NOT where you'll find those rock bottom deals that I am always on the hunt for.  All in all it has been an eye opening experience and I do believe that I will not have the urge to run to the nearest store when our year is up.  We'll just have to find a new place to end our date nights from now on.  Starbucks sounds like a winner to me.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Good for you! It's been about 3 years since I've shopped at Walmart (I wish I knew the exact date of the last trip so I could celebrate it each year) and my life is better for it. I'm convinced that I'm not spending any more for groceries even though I don't use coupons (it seems most coupons are for processed foods I don't buy). Some prices may be cheaper at Walmart but it's very difficult to avoid impulse purchases there so I think the savings is a wash. And even if I had to pay a bit more it would be worth it to avoid the major hassle that goes along with shopping at a "superstore" with a "superparkinglot".

Stats