Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday NOT SO Funny

I have to thank my friend Valerie for pointing me in the direction of these photos over on Facebook.  Typically I am not very politically minded.  Don't read anything into these photos about my political opinions (which are few).  These were taken with the intention of poking fun at the newly formed TeaParty. I must admit that after viewing them all, I have much to think about. 
I post them because I simply cannot believe the horrible use of the English language! If you are going to make a public, political statement ESPECIALLY about the English language at LEAST word your sign properly!!!  Note my improper over usage of the exclamation point; I own that.  Even grammar tyrants are allowed a little wiggle room.  
I don't want to get all serious on you but I will for just a minute. Did these people graduate from high school?  Do they vote? Do they hold down professional jobs?  Yikes.  The educational system in America ROCKS! You can go ahead and note that my last sentence was dripping with sarcasm; I own that too.


Sure, respect it but don't bother learning it?  This is a common mistake that makes me a little nutsy.  If we own it, it is O-U-R-S.   Our country, not are country!!!


AMNESTY- Not only a controversial topic but evidently an EXTREMELY difficult word to spell.


A-Men-Sty  Is she protesting messy bachelor pads?


English 101: Put the apostrophe where the letters are missing.
Is that so hard?


Lesson continued: Didn't is short for Did Not.  Which letter is missing in Didn't?  The "O".  Oh, that must be where the apostrophe goes!  I won't even ask to whom he served 22 years. How would one go about serving a year anyway? You can't put a year on a plate and serve it up the way I served my family homemade raviolis for supper. I guess we are supposed to assume that he served OUR country for 22 years. That same guy would probably be quick to tell me what happens when you assume anything. 


By far this is my favorite sign.  I was so excited to learn that I could know a second language in 24 hours simply by keeping my trap shut for a day.  I've been meaning to learn Spanish but that Rosetta Stone program is so expensive. I'm not exactly sure though why I would need to find my legislator.  Is he lost? Is that part of the requirement for my ability to speak Spanish tomorrow?  Kind of a Hispanic version of Where's Waldo?  Sounds fun, sign me up!!


I had an excellent second grade teacher.  She taught me that I should: Write my sign in pencil first, proof read my sign by checking carefully for spelling mistakes and THEN make it official by breaking out the magic markers and glitter.


It's really too bad that someone didn't pay attention in English class on the day that contractions were taught. 

I completely understand that I may have made grammar mistakes in this post.  Feel free to point them out.  I can take it.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

LOL! I did a post on this very thing. You and I selected some of the same photos. You can read my post here:

http://wellgroomedhippie.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-funnies.html

Stats