Friday, February 12, 2010

I Want A Boonie Cat!


If you have spent any amount of time on Guam you will know exactly what the word "boonie" means.
Boonie is a Guam term for stray animal (boonie cat, boonie dog). It can also mean "jacked up" or something that is especially "islandy" like a house that is sort of thrown together but can miraculously withstand a category 3 typhoon. Lot's of military folks go to Guam and buy a "boonie car" also known as a Guam bomb. It's a car that is cheap, probably has had many owners, and likely does not have aircon, but it gets you around on Big Navy. Guam has had a major issues with their stray "boonie" animal population for years. You cannot ride very far at all in your Guam bomb without seeing a boonie dog or even be chased by a few down the road. Many a Navy family has returned to the Continental United States with a Boonie cat or dog in tow. The Browns are no exception. We adopted our beloved Fraidycat within a month of living on the island (thanks Smith family!) and he is curled up beside me even now as I type. He is proudly representing his Boonie status on this side of the world. Now that I've caught you up a little on the word boonie, let me tell you about the conversation I had today.
I went in to get my hair done and was making the usual small talk that you make with a new hairdresser. The conversation went a little like this:
Me: Oh yes we love it here in Florida. The weather is so much better than Virginia. It's more of what we are used to after spending 3 years on Guam.
Rhi (hairlady): GUAM!!!!! OMG I had a cat from there!!! A Goonie cat. She was so sweet and had such personality with her pointy face and crooked tail. She died about 6 months ago.
Me: (Trying to keep a straight face) Oh, you mean a boonie cat right?
Rhi: yes a boonie cat. (Poor woman has probably been telling everyone for years that she owns a goonie cat)
Me: I have a boonie cat. His name is Fraidy.
Rhi: OMG Is he fixed?!?!?!?!
Me:Yes
Rhi: Oh thats too bad. I really want another boonie cat, they are just the best cats. How can I get one?
Me: (Looking around for the candid camera) Ummmm well... I guess if you knew someone military who lives there you could have one shipped to you but it would be very expensive because they have to go through vet checks and shots and blood tests etc... Then they have to ship through Hawaii and spend the night in quarantine blah blah blah...
Rhi: Oh I knew it would have to be expensive. They are so exotic, with that coloring and that crook in their tails.
Me: (Laughingly admitting) Fraidycat has a crook in his tail too but only because I slammed it in the dryer door when he was a kitten.
Me Again: (because Rhi was unsure how to respond to my cat abuse) You know..... I'm not sure how to tell you this but boonie cats in Guam are a dime a dozen. They are considered strays. The word boonie essentially means stray.
Rhi: Oh no!! A boonie cat is a specific breed. They are the best cats ever.
Me: (Bewildered) Ok. Well... I know we like ours... best of luck on your hunt for another one.

It was all I could do to keep my composure. Wow. I did not want to contradict her too much, after all she was applying chemicals to my head! I came home and relayed this crazy conversation to Lee and the girls who rolled with laughter. We decided we could become rich and famous for exporting the rare and exotic Boonie Breed around the world. Think it'll go over? Me either.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I'll bet you could pull this off. Can you list animals on eBay? Get some friends to bid and jack up the prices. Do a Squidoo page about this rare breed. Perhaps a fake Wikipedia entry. This could be quite a money-making enterprise for your family.

Stats