Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fairy Bread

Fairy Bread, ever heard of it? Me either. That is until earlier this week when I learned of this nifty little snack that Australian children have been enjoying for years.  No Australian child's birthday party would be complete without it so I'm told.  When I first heard about Fairy Bread from a friend I thought "my children CANNOT go into adulthood without having tried Fairy Bread".  Like any good homeschooling mommy would do I went right out and bought the ingredients. We had a "cultural" lesson today.  That's what we'll call it... cultural.

Fairy Bread calls for 3 items. 
1. Very fresh, fluffy white bread
2. Butter
3. Millions of Hundreds and Thousands 
(those tiny, colorful balls that you sprinkle on cakes and cookies)
I was told that the more outlandish the colors the better.
 
You cut the bread into shapes with cookie cutters. Spread it with soft butter and sprinkle it with the colorful Hundreds and Thousands.  We went about it the easy way and poured the sprinkles into a plate then turned the buttered bread over onto the sprinkles.  
That's when the girls got crazy and decided to use marshmallow fluff instead of butter.  In the end it looked like a herd of sticky fairies had buzzed through my kitchen!

We decided that this treat might be a little too girly for boys, so we came up with another idea.  You could use peanut butter or Nutella instead of butter and call it Fairies Stuck in the Mud Bread.
As for the taste of this Australian delicacy?  Let's just say that a lot more fun was had in the making than the eating.

1 comment:

jevvv said...

Awesome! I love the idea of using Marshmallow Fluff instead of butter.... pity we can't get it here ;)

Tip: I butter the bread before cutting- easier to get the 100's & 1000's to stick all the way to the edge.

Stats