Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sunday Suppers-Part 1

You all are probably wondering why I am publishing Sunday Suppers on Saturday night.  That's because this is a multi step recipe. To have the DELICIOUS results on Sunday, it takes a little effort on Saturday. Now don't start getting worried.  I'm here to walk you through it step by step. Believe me, these Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are worth EVERY bit of the effort!

Let me start by saying that I am a bread machine fan. I have burned through one machine already and my current one just might be on its last leg.  If you don't happen to have a bread machine, this same dough recipe can be used and mixed by hand or mixer with a dough hook.  After you mix the ingredients and knead it for a little while let it rise for about 2 hours. The bread machine just takes all of the guess work out of the process. 
Notice that pink recipe book up there? That happens to be a copy of a copy of the original recipe book that came with my first bread machine back in the early 90's. I could not part with the best cinnamon roll recipe in the world!  I am guessing that the only paper I had on hand was pink. It's anyones guess what was happening in my house at the time. Since I spent most of the 90's pregnant or nursing a babe, you'll have to forgive the pink paper.

Bread dough is fairly unforgiving so be as precise as you can with your measurements.
Ok here we go...

First you start with an egg and 3/4 Cup of warm milk.  The milk needs to be warmer than body temp but not hot.

On top of that add exactly 3 level cups of white flour. DO NOT stir, just let the dry ingredients sit on top of the liquid at the bottom.  Spread the flour out across the surface to cover all of the liquid.

Add to the top 3 level Tablespoons of sugar.

Next pour on 1/2 level teaspoon of salt. After this take a spoon and dig out a small little hole in the middle of you flour. Be careful not to dig too far down to where the milk is. 

Into the little hole you need to pour 1 packet of active dry yeast.

In each corner place 1 Tablespoon of butter for a total of 4 Tablespoons. The butter needs to be soft but not runny.

Without stirring, place the bread pan into the bread machine and lock it into place.

Set your machine on the dough cycle and press start.  Most dough cycles take a little less than 2 hours. Stay tuned for instructions on what to do when the alarm sounds that the dough is ready.

No comments:

Stats