Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1

This morning I asked all of my Facebook friends for their opinion. Now it's your turn, only you will have the advantage of a few pictures.  My question for you is this: Do we go for the older house that needs a little work but is in an established neighborhood and has potential for profit in the resell if we update the kitchen and bathrooms?  Or should we go for the house is move in ready, newer and well appointed?  The newer houses tend to have smallish yards and very small bedrooms.  The older house has a HUGE fenced in yard with large bedrooms but small closets.  Here are the 3 we've narrowed down to: in no particular order.

The Orchard House (1)
Nice yard, fenced in the back and a nice neighborhood 

Gorgeous kitchen with brand new appliances. The kitchen is open to the den on the right.
The eat in table would go where Lee is standing to take this picture.

The master bathroom is very nice and the kids bathroom (no pics) is really well done too.



The Hideaway House (2)
Very small yard on a corner lot

Pretty average kitchen with nice appliances

This kitchen is also open to the den area

Small fenced in yard out back.  The advantage of this house is that it is nicely painted in colors we like. Also it is very close to family. The work commute for Lee would be a breeze.


The Whippoorwill House (3)
Built in 1977. In a much sought after neighborhood with huge mature trees.  All the other house in this hood are worth more than this one.  It's got good bones.

The horrid kitchen that will not only require our sweat but some money to update.

The other rooms, like this one have been brought up to this century. This is the breakfast area of the kitchen.

Huge fenced in backyard big enough for Hobbes.

There you have it.  I'd LOVE to hear some opinions!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's tought. It looks like the old one would be a good investment, as the cheapest house in the neighborhood is almost always a good bet, but I hate commutes, so I could see how the middle one would be good too. I'd probly go with the big old one myself. Happy house hunting.
Dan M

Colleen said...

This is a tough assignment. I'm inclined to vote for the orchard house. Love that kitchen and know how much you love to cook. But the huge yard of #3.....hmmmm....If I have to chose? Orchard House #1.

Jamie Sibley said...

Well, if it was up to my family, our house would never get remodeled, so I'd choose a move-in ready one. But, if you like to remodel, and have the free time... then go for it. I can tell you that the 2 biggest things I'll be looking for the next time we move are a big kitchen/eating area and a big yard. Did that help at all?

Jamie Sibley

OkinawaMama said...

Hmmm...I'd be leaning towards the one with the easiest commute. Chip's had at least an hour or more commute for the past 5 years. Personally, I'd pass on the older. You may not recoup all the money you put into it. Appliances, heater, a/c, plumbing, electrical, etc., are all things to consider. Have fun choosing!
Laura

Stats