Friday, May 8, 2009

I Hope It's Genetic

My blog seems to be going to the dogs lately, literally and figuratively.  It seems like a good portion of our time each day is devoted to dog training and care.  I don't know about you guys but I need a change for a little while.
After browsing through my family's blogs a few days ago, I had a sudden realization.  I happen to be descended from a long line of some very talented people.  I have always taken for granted the fact that certain abilities seem to come to me naturally.  Now I see that I have been blessed with family who have the same (if not better) creative tendencies and I am just one of the same. Considering that I know people who can barely boil water or sew on a button without considerable stress, I am thankful for what I've been given.

5 Generations of Talented Women  
My little granny in the middle is holding baby Holly. At this point she was about 100 years old and still leaning over a quilt frame everyday or crocheting baby blankets for her many great and great great grands. Little Granny's quilts were not always pretty because she used scraps but that does not make them any less sentimental. My favorite is one she made for me as a teenager. She had pieced together some of my old dresses, my dad's shirts and ties, and mom's older kitchen curtains as well as other scraps from my childhood.  It remains one of my cherished possessions to this day.
Little Granny's daughter, my Nonny pictured on the left was no less talented. She could cook as well as Paula Dean in my not so humble opinion. Nonny quilted, sewed and crocheted also. She and her sister (my Aunt Lula) made a wedding quilt for Lee and I when we got married. 
Nonny's daughter, my mom is pictured on the right with the curly hair. We know where Caitlin's curls came from. Some of mom's handiwork is pictured below.

Mom has been busily making these beautiful quilted, personalized purses for friends down in Florida.

This is one of the quilts mom made for the girls a few Christmases ago. This Kitty Kat one was for my Abbie.

Mom even sewed in pockets and a solid bottom.

Another one of the many beauties.

Nonny's daughter Jennifer (my mom's sister and my aunt) is making the above quilt for a baby gift. See what I mean? Talent abounds!

Aunt Jen tried her hand at homemade pretzels. Move over Auntie Anne, Make room for Auntie Jen!!!

Aunt Jen and her daughter Ambre (my cousin) make beautiful pottery. You should see their birdhouses! Go to www.allfireduppottery.blogspot.com
to see their handiwork.
Aunt Jen's son Bo (another cousin) has a blog where he displays his handmade furniture.

Lastly here is one of the pretty purses that Ambre made. Secretly I'm jealous of this one.  I love how springy and PINK it is!!!
Well, enough bragging for now.  I feel the need to go find something creative to do.

No comments:

Stats