Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1

October 1st, the beginning of the new fiscal year for most of you. For me, Oct.1 marks the beginning of a new age each year. Today I start living my last year as a 30 something. I can't complain. God has blessed me beyond measure.
Many of you have noticed my absence here on the blog, so today also begins a recommitment to blogging. I'm back on the job now!
We are finally moved into our beautiful house. We closed on it about a week ago, so it is now officially ours. I don't think that being homeowners has really sunk in yet. For 19 years we've lived in base housing and rentals. To make a change we always had to ask permission. Now we could tear a wall down if we wanted and no one would even bat an eyelash. Don't worry, we only have one demo project to do and I will show you what we have in mind in the pictures below. Follow me for the grand tour of the front of our new house.

This is the foyer. My back was to the front door and I had a view into the den. That's mom over there on the right. I think this is a good place to add a warning. Attention Friends and Family: You now live within range of Rebecca's camera. You WILL be featured here at Lovin' Life At Home. No doubt about it.
Ok, see that empty space over on the left? I need a piece of furniture there. I was thinking of one of those benches with a back and hooks for hanging umbrellas and such. I'm not sure what you call that or where to find one. I love a challenge!

Also the foyer, taken with the formal living room to my back.

Here's the living room. It's such a nice peaceful room. I think I'm going to take the rug up. It does not really match and it's been through alot in its life.

Yesterday dad ripped the 25+ year old shower doors off of the girls bathroom tub. They chose this turquoise polka dot curtain to replace it. They also picked surfboard riding penguins for accent pieces. Funny girls!

If you look closely you'll see the penguin trash can on the floor in the back.

Here is the eat in kitchen area. I'm at a loss for ideas about covering that bay window. I love it and really don't want to cover it but it has to have something soon. Through that window the neighborhood can see everything that happens in here at night. We are not in the business of putting on shows!

Here's my cute kitchen. The demo project is that brown cabinet hanging down from the ceiling. It's gotta go! Taking it down will open up that area considerably and make it feel like one whole room instead of two small rooms. That's my NON-professional interior decorator opinion.
All of the cabinets were that brown color when we moved in. We painted them white and replaced the 1970's hardware with new brushed silver handles. I'll save that story for another day. Eventually the countertops will be new too. Right now they are avocado green. ICK! We had to buy the fridge when we moved in, so I chose Stainless Steel LG and I LOVE it. The goal is to change all of the appliances to match. One project at a time.

Lastly, here is our cozy den.
I hope you enjoyed your tour of the front of the house. Stay tuned for more.
For the next couple of weeks I will try to get you all caught up on the past month or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky I have missed your blog, so glad you are back. I love the house and can't wait to see what you do with it. Hope you are having a wonderful day. Happy Birthday love ya, Lisa

Eva M. said...

Hi, Rebecca! I stumbled across your blog a couple weeks ago and really enjoy your writing! Your blog struck a chord with me as I am an Air Force wife and we homeschooled both of our boys when they were school age.

Congrats on your move! We are moving to Germany in January. First time overseas since I was a kid. :)

Deanna said...

I'm so excited for you! The piece of furniture you are looking for is called a hall tree. Check antique stores for one (my mom has one). I agree that the cabinet over the peninsula should go. Good job with the white cabinets...much better. As for the windows in the bay area, you might consider some type of blinds that can be left up during the day and pulled for privacy. You could then do a valance across all the windows which would hide the blinds when they are up and add a bit of color to that area.

Have fun making this house your home.

Stats