Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Suppers

This is a bit of an unusual recipe for Sunday Suppers.  It's one that we have as an old standby here at our house.  Lee would tell me when we first got married that he loved to eat salmon patties that his mom would make when he was growing up.  I had no clue what a salmon patty even was and even less of a clue how to go about making one.  I finally got a chance a few years later to watch his mama make these little yummies.  I have a feeling that someday my own girlies will be making these for their own families. 
Lee's Mama's Salmon Patties
2 cans of canned salmon (drained)
2 cups of plain flour
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

Ok, I know some of you are thinking "canned fish?".  Yeah, I understand your reservations.  I had a few myself.  My Georgia people assured me that it's alright.  I got ok with it after that first taste.  I will willingly admit though that it is the only exception I am willing to make in the canned meat department.

Now on to the directions:  Empty your drained fish into a large mixing bowl and pour in your flour, salt and red pepper.  Use that salt sparingly but give that pepper shaker an enthusiastic shake or two or three.  You'll thank me later.

This is where it gets fun, if you think messy is fun. Get your hands down in there and mix it all together.  You gotta get that flour thoroughly worked into the fish.

When everything is all mushed up together start forming your patties.  Do it the way you would form a hamburger patty. If your patties won't stick together good, add a little bit of water to moisten the mixture.

No comments:

Stats